Wednesday 6 April 2011

In The Mood - Lavender Plant Inspiration

Now, I've never been a great fan of lavender - as a colour it doesn't suit me terribly well, for a long time the scent has reminded me a little of perfumed talcum powder and lavender bushes attract bees which send my son into screaming panics. But two things recently have got me re-evaluating my opinions - last weekend I had a slice of the most gorgeous orange & lavender cake and I saw a beautiful wedding photograph where the couple had covered the entrance step into the church with lavender heads so that as guests walked over them, the fabulous smell greeted them.

So these two little bits of inspiration combined in my ever fizzing head and sent me hunting for some beautiful, inspiring images and thoughts about using 'proper' lavender in weddings - pretty, natural, delicate and rather heavenly lavender. It's definitely not just for talc loving ladies of a certain age any more, it's much too fabulous for that...

 Above - as it was a cake that partly inspired today's post, it seems right I start with this gorgeous Lavender Lemon Bundt cake. This would be a fabulous addition to an afternoon tea style reception or as part of a themed dessert table. Your guests will adore you for this. And oooh, check the beautiful plate as well... Image - via Blog Catalog

 Above - I can almost taste this just looking at the photo! My lovely of fizz is well documented and I am not ashamed to admit that I like a bit of flavour to my champagne so it's no surprise my eye was drawn to this. A lavender stem is simply popped into each glass and topped up with fabulous bubbles. In fact, I'm so sure this would give a gorgeously delicate flavour, I might just have to try it. Image - Martha Stewart

 Above - anything cake-ish that ends with the phrase 'pop' is popular right now and these lavender macaron pops are pushing all the right buttons with me. Love the little scattering of lavender on the macaron and the colour is wonderfully vivid. Can almost imagine a whole row of these pots lined up with different flavoured pops (rose, lemon, mint, orange, almond... yum!) Image - Chez Us

Above - oooh, such a pretty place setting. I love the bundled lavender standing by the plate adding some height, the shaped plate is beautiful, the wood handled cutlery is gorgeous, the elegant glasses are working perfectly and the sweet detail on the (uncreased!) table linen is rather perfect. The little lavender sachet that's taking centre stage is part favour and part place marker and would be easy wedding DIY as well. Image - Jose Villa

Above - how about a lavender toss instead of using traditional confetti? These fabulous patterned stamped bags were given to guests for the big moment and the drawstring kept the lavender safe until it was needed. You could of course use more patterned bags as favours and continue the motif that way. Image - Littlewing Studio
Above - little lavender bunches work wonderfully as seating cards. The bunches are wrapped with ribbon and the tags with guest names and seating details are tied on. Can you imagine the scent hat would surround you seating card table? Wow! Image - Martha Stewart

Above - more lavender goodness - here the colour scheme in question is fresher but still the whites and greens work so naturally with the lavender. I love the simple raffia wrap around the napkin and the stems are just tucked inside (also loving the silver fern in the floral arrangements too) Image - via Oncewed

Above - love this unusual reception drink idea. A whisky sour with the lavender sprigs looks brilliant and makes a bit of man's drink a great girlie twist. You could copy the idea for the non-alcoholic alternative so everyone is included. Image - Martha Stewart

Above - such a beautiful idea. Two bunches of lavender at tied to the chairback with some gorgeous ribbon and the scent around your dining area would be bliss (and relaxing for those about to make speeches!). That lavender gingham table cloth/white chair combo is totally working for me and oooh, no creases in the table linen! Image - You & Your Wedding

1 comment:

  1. Love lavender for weddings!

    The lavender ice cream is fabulous from
    The Lavender Fields@Alton in Hampshire

    You must try!

    ReplyDelete